This one-day workshop is an advanced course in automated test and deployment of Microsoft BI solutions.
The target audience for this course is intermediate-to-experienced Microsoft Business Intelligence developers (or quick learners) who wish to learn more about test and deployment and the ways to automate it.
Module 1: Introduction
- What is Continuous Deployment and Continuous Integration
- What is automation?
- Why automate?
- Overview of different tools
Module 2: Getting started with NBi
- Framework for testing BI solutions (Databases, ETL, Cubes, Reports)
- Types of tests (unit, api, acceptance, functional etc.)
- Add-on for NUnit
- Just create an XML file
- NBi and test environment setup
Module 3: Generating tests with NBi
- Creating of a set of test-cases
- Writing a template for the test
- Applying the template to each test-case
- Defining the settings of your test-suite
- Automating creation of test-cases with GenBI and genbiL
Module 4: DB deployment with SSDT and TFS
- Release Management
- DAC framework
- Detecting and managing DB drift
- Code analysis rules in SSDT
- Build engine and MSBuild
Module 5: Deployment of BI components
- SSIS: ISPAC, ISDeploymentWizard and Stored Procedures
- SSAS: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment
- SSRS: RS Utility
Module 6: Further automation
The course includes hands-on labs: you will make practice using your own notebook.