In this training session we will cover everything you need to know as a Power BI administrator or Power BI responsible. We will use theory and practice to learn concepts and apply them.
We will provision a Power BI environment; we will look at the main settings and figure out which of them are important and how they should be set according to best practices. We will then setup Power BI premium and look through the administration options when it comes to dedicated capacity. We will investigate the role of the Enterprise Gateway, set it up, configure it and talk about how to administer it. Lastly but not least, we will show how you can monitor your Power BI environment.
Who is this training for?
This training is aimed at Power BI Administrators, lead developers and other with interest in Power BI Administration and in the concepts and best practices of the subject.
There are no prerequisites to join the course but ideally you have a basic understanding of Power BI. If you don’t you will be able to complete the course but some of the Administration concepts might not be as relatable.
How is the training delivered?
The training format is classroom training where theory and practice are interchanging. We will introduce topics and then do exercises to enforce the theory. If you are an administrator of a Power BI tenant, you can choose to do the exercises on your own tenant or choose to do them on our practice tenant.
What will you take away from the training?
When you have completed this training course, you will have a deep understanding on:
- What a Power BI tenant is and how it’s organized
- What the Power BI Administrator can and cannot do
- How to setup a tenant and maintain it
- What the important settings are and how to maintain them
- The difference between Power BI Pro, Power BI PPU and Power BI Premium from the Administration and governance perspective
- How to administer the Power BI On-Premises Gateway
- What and how to monitor when it comes to Power BI
Besides the knowledge of the above topics, you will come away with examples of process documents and code to monitor your Power BI tenant.
Module 1: Power BI Administration
- Understanding the Power BI Administrator Role
- Establishing a Power BI Environment
Module 2: Admin Portal
- Usage Metrics
- Tenant Settings
- Capacity Settings
- Embed Codes
- Organization Visuals
Module 3: Office 365/Azure settings
- Audit Log
- Connect an Azure Data Lake Gen2 storage account
- Azure Log Analytics integration
Module 4: Power BI Premium
- What is Power BI Premium
- Buying and provisioning Premium Capacity
- Administrating Power BI Premium Capacity
- Power BI Premium Per User
Module 5: Enterprise Gateway administration
- Setup the Enterprise Gateway
- Administrate the Enterprise Gateway
Module 6: Monitoring end-to-end
- Power BI artifact inventory using REST API
- Actions using Audit log
- The Enterprise Gateway
- Using PowerShell to collect monitoring data