In this training session we will cover everything you need to know as a Power BI administrator or Power BI responsible. We will use theory and practice to learn concepts and apply them.
We will provision a Power BI environment; we will look at the main settings and figure out which of them are important and how they should be set according to best practices. We will then setup Power BI premium and look through the administration options when it comes to dedicated capacity. We will investigate the role of the Enterprise Gateway, set it up, configure it and talk about how to administer it. We will look at Power BI governance and see how you can set governance strategy, create processes and roles and lastly but not least how you can monitor your Power BI environment.
Who is this training for?
This training is aimed at Power BI Administrators, lead developers, governance responsible and other with interest in Power BI Administration and Governance and in the concepts and best practices of the subject.
There are no pre-requisites to join the course but ideally you have a basic understanding of Power BI. If you don´t you will be able to complete the course but some of the Administration concepts might not be as relatable.
How is the training delivered?
The training format is classroom training where theory and practice are interchanging. We will introduce topics and then do exercises to enforce the theory. If you are an administrator of a Power BI tenant, you can choose to do the exercises on your own tenant or choose to do them on our practice tenant.
What will you take away from the training?
When you have completed the course, you will have a deep understanding on:
- What a Power BI tenant is and how it´s organized
- What the Power BI Administrator can and cannot do
- How to setup a tenant and maintain it
- What the important settings are and how to maintain them
- The difference between Power BI Pro, Power BI PPU and Power BI Premium from the Administration and governance perspective
- How to administer the Power BI On-Premises Gateway
- What to focus on when it comes to governing Power BI
- What processes give value and how to define them
- What and how to monitor when it comes to Power BI
Besides the knowledge of the above topics, you will come away with examples of process documents and code to monitor your Power BI tenant.
- Power BI Administration
- Understanding the Power BI Administrator Role
- Establishing a Power BI Environment
- Admin Portal
- Office 365 settings
- Power BI Premium
- Provisioning Premium Capacity
- Administrating Power BI Premium Capacity
- Enterprise Gateway administration
- Setup the Enterprise Gateway
- Administrate the Enterprise Gateway
- Introduction to governance
- Governance strategy
- Four pillars of Power BI Governance Strategy
- Best practices
- Development process
- Publishing process
- Sharing Process
- Security Process
- Naming Standards
- Tenant Settings
- Gateway process
- Tying it all together
- Monitoring Power BI artifact inventory using REST API
- Monitoring actions using Audit log
- Monitoring the Enterprise Gateway
- Monitoring capacities
- Using PowerShell to collect monitoring data
- User groups
- Types of training
- Delivery method
- Training content
- Using Office 365 API, Power BI Audit Log and Microsoft Flow to find trainees
- What roles are needed
- Role definitions
- Discussion: What roles are necessary, and do they need allocation
- Wrap up